View Single Post
Old 17-04-19, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
There is certainly no "closed top" on a fifth cycle Birmingham V, in fact, if you look at the link you mention, or, a copy of Jacksons, you can see the reverse is the case, however, the "top" certainly does appear to be "closed" on the mark that is the subject of this thread.
Frank, I don’t have a copy of Jacksons. I’m going by the link posted by Millmed. I’m worried that one of us needs to go to Specsavers as the tops of the two example hallmarks they show for Birmingham 1895 look closed to me. They both also have the strange hook that almost makes it look like a lower case ‘b’. If the website’s examples are wrong I couldn’t tell you I’m just going by what I’m looking at.

Both hallmarks on the badge in question have this little ‘hook’ like feature and are closed just like the website’s two examples - to my possibly malfunctioning eyes anyway.

Screenshots below.

P.S. just seen Alex’s post re the silver forum’s decision. Seems the experts have spoken, 1888. Makes me assume the website’s examples are indeed incorrect? Perhaps such sites should be treated with a degree of caution.

P.P.S. Alex - did you conduct any research into the badge to see when it was worn just to confirm it ties up with the date? Knowing the period of wear may have made this much easier.

Last edited by Luke H; 17-04-19 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Added P.S.