View Single Post
Old 19-01-17, 09:06 PM

Default Gordon Highlanders SNCOs & Officers Cap Badges

Whilst recently putting some new acquisitions into the collection, I became surprised at the number of different 3D Gordon Highlanders cap badges I've acquired over the years. All of them different in size/weight/wreath/antlers whatever. Please see below photos of this phenomenon.

Photo 1 front/back has one mounted on a round piece of black silk from a glengarry, the other on tartan. This photo shows the differences very well, with the 2 badges differing in every way. The 1 on black has the owners "NB 120" scratched on.
Photo 2 front back has one mounted on tartan, one not but hallmarked silver. The tartan mounted one has "DODD 41" SCRATCHED ON BACK.
Photo 3 front/back both unmounted. The left one is a frosted silver finish and the right one came with WW2 medals and has a makers mark.
Photo 4 is a cap badge mounted on a presentation targe, so only the front is visible, but came with anodised badges on as well, so modern-ish.

Only one is actually hallmarked silver (Birmingham 1978), one has a MM of "LUDLOW LONDON", some have copper lugs and two have variations of the previous owners name/initials/last 2 or3 (of their Army number) on. Two have bits of tartan on the back, but the bits are actually 2 pieces with the back one cut larger than the front one, but the edges deliberately frayed to look more impressive.

I wonder if the badges can be dated, allocated to specific manufacturers or with the named ones even allocated to specific individuals? Grateful for any comments.

Ian H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3950.jpg (76.8 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3951.jpg (64.0 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3952.jpg (62.3 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3953.jpg (59.3 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3954.jpg (58.7 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3955.jpg (45.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3956.jpg (79.4 KB, 71 views)