View Single Post
Old 28-08-16, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiguy View Post
Does anyone know if the rounded shape of the motto scroll that carries the word DOMINUS on 3DG’s badge is significant? Is it just a maker’s variation or for a particular cap – e.g. Kilmarnock bonnet?

I have a number of KOSB badges and they all have a flatish DOMINUS scroll except one. My rounded scroll example is a fretted badge. It’s in the middle of the old scan of KOSB badges I took some time ago. The only reference I can find for this particular shape is KK 239 (which also appears fretted in KK). KK write it up as a post 1891 KOSB cloth helmet badge that was later used on the Kilmarnock bonnet in 1904. (The later KC version being shown). Though mine doesn't appear ever to have helmet fitments.

I ask because there is a very obvious QVC KOSB fake with the round DOMINUS scroll that is seen regularly on eBay. I got caught out with it myself years ago and I'm therefore suspicious of any with a rounded bottom scroll unless KK 239.
Yours is an officers badge if solid silver or nco's badge if plated or w/m.

Remember that there was a strong tradition within the KOSB to wear the oldest badge possible, either handed down from ancestors who served earlier, hence the tradition, or bought wherever possible, which muddles the discussion about what is original and what is not.

Attached pic was taken in Irak. Note the Victorian pattern badges.

Rgds, Thomas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg minden_kosb_hr.jpg (71.7 KB, 75 views)