View Single Post
Old 24-12-18, 11:47 PM

Default Officers Canadian Parachute Corps "fused" NOT "riveted" unmarked examples

It is a very real possibility that the company/companies that made the riveted and possibly fused badges during the war also made the higher quality stamped versions. But when? It is obvious that the "fused" badge and the quality stamped versions were made from the original die and NOT molded like some. Were the fused types made late in the war or possibly slightly post war? Officers at the parachute school continued to wear the Canadian Parachute Corps badges until the formation of the Mobile Striking Force in the 1948 period. They wore them there in an instructor capacity probably as late as the early 1950's. So there are so many possibilities. Some insignia at Rivers did continue to come from the UK. This is evident in the acquisition of bullion jump wings for the later patrol dress.

Yes I know I now have an example of this badge. In fact I was going to sell it as I was certain it was good. However I decided to hang on to it and see what additional evidence I could dig up. That evidence only has me thinking that it is indeed original. Even if it was made in the 1960's using the actual dies, it could still be an original badge. This especially if the company that made them during the war made post war examples with their dies. It is therefore NOT a repro, a copy or a fake.

So the only thing missing from this examination is a wartime OR post war provenance. Was it made by a British badge firm during the war? was it re-made by a firm after the war or did that firm sell it's original dies and some private person make them?

So that is where it will remain until someone finds one with some prov in the hands of a vet or family or until someone comes forward with evidence suggesting that Joe Blow down at the Pub is making them in his basement with the original equipment.

Ken