View Single Post
Old 08-02-19, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
I may be wrong but I thought that regimental policemen wore just the letters RP but Garrison Military Police wore GMP as RPs were not in the same sense military policemen. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jon
Although used sometimes during the Great War, ‘RP’ is correct for more recent times after a unified Corps of Military Police (CMP) was formed post war (from the MMP&MFP) and a clear demarcation required. However, during WW1 RMP, as described above, was more commonly used by domestic regimental police sections under a unit Provost Sergeant. In large garrisons, including tented Summer manoeuvres the battalion RMP sections were often brigaded to form garrison military police usually under an APM. As well as RMP and GMP, another common designation was RPS, or even PS for the Regimental Provost Sergeant. I contributed to a thread about such armbands here: https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/...omment-1711694 The fact that the CMP later became the CRMP, with shoulder titles as RMP has caused some confusion subsequently.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 09-02-19 at 07:43 PM.