View Single Post
Old 28-12-09, 01:28 AM

Default Irish Guards Senior Ranks bi-metal cap star.

I have posted this query before. I post it again in the hope that new membership may provide an answer.

I bought this badge in 1998 from a seller in Yorkshire – no complaints at all with the seller.

It was listed as a Senior ranks badge at the time, and I have seen a listing of a Bosleys catalogue with a reference to a bi-metal cap star introduced in 1995 for Sgts.

However, the only official information I have for the introduction of the bi-metal cap star to the Irish Guards is in 2000 when the Regimental Council of the Irish Guards ordered a new bi-metal badge for Col Sgts/Sgts to allegedly bring these ranks into line with the other Guards regiments (this issue being silver and gilt the so called "millennium star")

Below I show the badge in question on the left – die struck in white metal with GM/Brass centre overlaid compared with the 2000 “millennium star” which is a two piece construction with the centre attached to the star via a screw fitment on the right.

Can anyone authenticate the “non screw” version and confirm with certainly the date of first introduction of the bi-metal badge?

Thanks

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ig cap stars front.jpg (42.0 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg ig cap stars back.jpg (30.9 KB, 123 views)