Thread: Scratch Bright?
View Single Post
Old 19-01-17, 08:10 PM

Default “scratch brushed and bright dipping” versus “scratch bright”

Hi Keith

Many thanks for your latest response. When I re-read your initial posting of yesterday I thought it didn’t quite sound like the kind of process you would get with gilding, and your latest comments confirm this when you talk about it being used on gilding metal/brass. So in effect this “scratch brushed and bright dipping” was a polishing technique, followed by a chemical dip to preserve the shine. Whereas it seems the term “scratch bright”, in relation to the Leicesters badge noted in the Green Tiger piece, was a kind of gilding, but exactly which type of gilding is the question? By the way, the badge referred to is actually a cap badge, not the collars, and was to be worn on officers’ No. 1 dress caps. I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts on the gilding method that this “scratch bright” is referring to??

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”