Thread: Scratch Bright?
View Single Post
Old 18-01-17, 08:18 PM

Default Leicesters “scratch bright” gilt with silver-plated scrolls badge

Hello Brian and Keith

Many thanks for your replies gentlemen - I am grateful to both of you for the suggestions. I’m pretty sure “scratch bright” isn’t anything to do the ‘scotch bright’ pads you talk about Brian, though I can see where you are coming from with this. It might be more like what you describe Keith, though maybe if I explain the context a little more that might help?

The reference in question comes from a piece in the Green Tiger, Vol. XXV, No. 5, February 1950, p. 158, about badges for the Leicestershire Regiment, and is specifically with regard to the smaller “new “reduced” (three-quarters) size badge”:

As you can see, the above talks about the “Three-quarters” size badge to be worn by officers on the blue forage (peaked) cap being ““scratch bright” gilt with silver-plated scrolls”. I assume here that it was specifically the “gilt” that was “scratch bright”, so would this fit with your “scratch brushed and bright dipping” technique Keith, or not??

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”