View Single Post
Old 23-07-20, 10:43 AM

Default Indian Badges - Pre Mutiny

I thought I'd share these recent acquisitions with you. Bought as one lot - I knew that some of them were pre-mutiny Indian badges - now that I have them to hand I'm convinced they are all Indian from that period and all from units that mutinied. I'm working with Ashok Nath to identify them all but they are all heavy cast brass with lovely patina and a nice tactile feel to them. The issue is that they are so rare there's little to reference them by - I went through my back catalogue of Bosley's and could find almost no examples of O/R's badges for this period. A few officers shako plates and some WBC's - but almost nothing else.
Some of the units are easy to identify 18th Bengal Native Infantry and 7th Sindias Infantry Contingent (raised in 1844 as part of the Gwalior Contingent)
68th BNI, 41st BNI, and 15th BNI ( not sure what the K stands for? ) but I assume these are Grenadier companies because of the flaming grenade?
20th BNI, 28th BNI, 29th BNI ( all roman numerals ) - I think these were worn on the forage cap by Subadars whilst the sepoys wore numbers. I confess my "evidence" for this is a picture in the Ospreys Indian Mutiny book so I don't know if it's accurate or just artistic license. There were three badges that I thought might be British - HLI was I assumed Highland Light Infantry -Although it was like no HLI badge I could find. I now believe it to be the Hariannna Light Infantry ( another unit that mutinied ). I knew the 74th Foot were rushed to India to help quell the mutiny so again I assumed that might be the link. However I now believe its the 74thBNI because of the construction of the badge ( heavy cast brass with integral lugs) - and finally the 44th - Again I assumed from the photo that it might be the 44th foot although I don't think they were in India at any stage - however the badge differs from the 44th foot glengarry - No Sphinx, no battle honours on the leaves and again I think its Indian in construction - so 44th BNI. The one that remains a mystery is the Lakes&Victory badge - which is also the only one that I think is incomplete - I don't know if its a motto or a battle honour - but I suspect it belongs to one of the Contingents that mutinied - any help on this one would be appreciated. Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7410.jpg (30.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7419.jpg (44.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7423.jpg (35.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7424.jpg (56.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7426.jpg (68.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7429.jpg (54.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7431.jpg (45.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7434.jpg (63.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7436.jpg (41.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7438.jpg (39.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7439.jpg (44.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg indian mutiny.jpg (73.9 KB, 41 views)