View Single Post
Old 30-11-15, 03:04 PM

Hope I am not changing tack too much, but I found this thread interesting. I spent 38 years in the military and have amassed a few medals along the way. What I find interesting is the reactions that medals engender in British military personnel. I can honestly say that I have worn my medals about 15 times in my career and medal ribbons about 50 times, never since I have left the service. They are in an ice cream container. Yet I display my ancestors military badges. In fact my children and grandchildren have had them out to take to school more than I have worn them. Don't get me wrong I am proud to have received them. But I guess it is that reserved, slightly embarassed British attitude that tends to "hide them away".
I have served in the USA, Germany, Spain and Italy and many display their ribbons on their "everyday" uniforms. I remember going to a WO conference with the Air Force Board and the subject was brought up about wearing ribbon bars on shirts and pullovers. Everyone thought it was a great idea but it was pointed out it would cost money. It has never happened.
I have often wondered if this is a modern attitude, did WW1 change perceptions?
I think it is odd that this guy wears his ribbons, but he has earned them.

Bryan