View Single Post
Old 01-04-16, 09:55 AM

Whilst I agree, it is certainly very wise to be a little cautious, it should always be borne in mind that these are very common badges and were often only worn for a short period of time by many that had been originally issued with them.
So many 2nd Battalion men were Reservists, called back to the Colours as the teatime War turned into actual war in South Africa, so, as a direct result of that, you do see a great many clean examples with very little wear, I have a shoe box full of infantry, all bought home from South Africa in the 1970's and without even bothering to go scratching the surface, I can see, immediately, the three attached.
Notwithstanding, quite frankly, the reality, remains simply that you will encounter so very many different badges, with both rectangular and round holes, of differing size, to the reverse of the star, from differing dies and manufacture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercian View Post
I have noticed in the last few weeks there has been a lot of Victorian/Edwardian Cheshire Regiment badges on Ebay by various sellers, all are lugged and all have a round sweat hole in them, as these badges came into use in December 1900, and sliders started to come in circa 1903, to have six for sale this week at the same time makes me a bit suspicious, and also over the last few months several broached versions with a round sweat hole have also been for sale. My version of the badge has a slotted hole in comparison. I am I being a bit paranoid?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030011.jpg (66.2 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg P1030012.jpg (60.8 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 01-04-16 at 12:56 PM.