View Single Post
Old 16-02-21, 02:29 PM

Hi Simon
Yeah, I tried to avoid using the term Economy Issue as I felt that would just conjure up a vision of an all gm badge. I used 'economy measure' instead and hoped you would see it as just another effort to save time and cost during the war effort. The all brass badge wasn't just the only economy drive in badge production and as my knowledge grows I am seeing more and more badge anomalies, not just the ones Luke mentioned, but also where old dies with Victorian crowns were used.

Perhaps nobody can change your mind and of course without photographic evidence your stance is quite reasonable. However, all I can say is that most badge books such as KK include it and of course the more responsible militaria auction houses such as Bosleys sell it as an economy 'measure'. They are also quite rare (or at least I haven't personally seen many), so if indeed a fake, the fakers didn't produce many. Ebay isn't overwhelmed with them as it is with the other myriad fakes and indeed the one in post 1 is the only one I've personally seen on there.

The whole issue of mass produced WWI badges is becoming a very interesting and consuming topic as some members on here use their forensic skills to expand our knowledge.
Cheers
Mark

Last edited by dubaiguy; 16-02-21 at 02:54 PM.