View Single Post
Old 24-01-14, 03:35 PM

Default ‘Badges of Public School Corps’, Public School Magazine, Vol. VIII, 1901, pp. 381-389

Hi John

Very many thanks indeed for the copy of the article from the 1901 Public School Magazine on ‘Badges of Public School Corps’, which I really appreciate you sending me. Thank you also for posting up some of the relevant drawings here, especially the three lions collar badge of the Leicesters’ 1st Volunteer Battalion that was worn at Uppingham. From other things I’ve seen I thought it probably was the case that they wore these badges at the School, but having it confirmed by the article is great:

Quote:
“At Uppingham, though the royal tiger of the Leicestershire Regiment is found on the officers’ cap buttons, the device worn on the caps and collars and also on the tunic buttons consists of the county badge of the Leicestershire Volunteers, the three lions, passant gardant, of the Royal Arms of England, with a cadency label of three points; on the collar, however, the lions are encircled by the laurel wreath which goes with the royal tiger of the old 12th.”
I’m sure Dean (mooke07) will be interested in this, given he posted up one of the Volunteers’ cap badges here.

As the accessing the full PDF on Google Books, even though I did try another computer I still only got ‘Snippet view’. I think it may all depend on where you are, and that for some reason they block access to some of their content in certain countries – or maybe it’s just the Welsh mountains getting in the way!! Anyhow, I am most grateful to you, for not only sending me things, but also drawing my attention to this rather obscure source.

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”