View Single Post
Old 16-02-21, 06:24 PM

The fact still remains that there was an official sealed pattern cap badge for O.R.s which was super ceded by the 1916 E.I. badge.

The Leinster Regiment had two regular battalions, a reserve battalion, two extra reserve battalions, two service battalions and no territorial battalions during the Great War, why did they need a third "economy" three part badge?

I used the photographs of 1916 E.I. badges to show that the cap badge in question was not the "standard" E.I. badge.

As for potential makers, it was you that mentioned both Lambourne and Tiptaft.

My understanding is that there are extant War Office lists of manufactures who were given contracts of each type of badge and the amount to be manufactured. Are there no surviving lists that show who had the Leinster Regiment contract?

As to the fake badges being made in the 1970's, Hugh King was known to have been given many examples of fake badges and I believe he also kept a rogue's gallery of fake badges, as many collector's do. No one is suggesting that he bought it from new and, I do not believe that he never acquired another military badge after 31st December 1979.

K&K do not go into great descriptive length regarding the two types of Leinster Regiment cap badges that they have illustrations of.

The Prince of Wales's Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians)

1) The Prince of Wales's plumes, coronet and motto. At the base a scroll inscribed The Leinster. Coronet and title scroll in gilding-metal. Plumes and motto in white metal. (Fig.699).

2). As above, but with different form of coronet. (Fig. 700).

Gaylor, seems even less sure of himself regarding the cap badge with the separate scroll, which incidentally, is the only example that he illustrates.

"During the First World War it would appear that the plumes used in The Welsh Regiment were utilized so that The Leinster badge is sometimes seen with the more common curved scrolls". Military Badge Collecting. John Gaylor. Revised Edition 1977. Page 48. I would respectfully suggest that they are "more common" because they are copies and not of the sealed pattern.

Please do not waste any more of your time and please mind your head. It really isn't worth it

Best wishes,

Simon.

Last edited by High Wood; 18-02-21 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Adding sources.