View Single Post
Old 06-10-14, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
Rob

None, other than the mess kit shown. Wm on SD .....and collars that I would collect (see attached)

Also.... verdigris is a good sign of age.

The "Flat" cap Motto is thought to be used it the National service era..... but, again, until photographic proof appears then its speculative.

BTW..... the SILVER variety are repro'd and one of the sellers of these is the relative of the "GB" hallmark. Simple things to copy I suppose.
Hello Griff

I am sorry to tell you but IMO these wm collars are spurious too. How many do you want?

To the best of my knowledge wm collars were not worn on Officers SD Jackets, only bronze for 17L and gilt for 17/21L I think (but I will look into that further), but happy to be corrected. None of which are documented/recorded to be of this flat pattern.

As you are aware I do not collect Officers kit but due to the fact that these 'Flat' collars have been turning up for years described as one thing or another, I have questioned their validity.

I spoke to & forwarded images to the late David Linaker in 2009 on this subject as just like Jerry I though I had the real thing.
David replied and I quote: 'Bad news I fear. I believe the 17L collar badges you have are Mrs Marsh No.1163. They are flat and bogus'

I think you'll find if you were to contact Gordon Dine he would express the same sentiments.

As for Verdigris being an indication of age, this is a chemical reaction to Copper & Brass on exposure to certain atmospheres, it can appear in a very short time subject to conditions, so no IMO, it is not an indication of substantial age.

Incidentally, were both of these items of uniform obtained from the same source?

Regards

Rob

PS are you 100% sure that mess kit is 17/21L? only the more I look at it etc. shouldn't there be some braid at cuff level?

The older I get ................the better I was !

Last edited by Robthereiver; 09-10-14 at 05:34 PM. Reason: added ps