View Single Post
Old 04-03-11, 12:10 PM

Arrow 5th Hampshires at Sidi Nsir

My father in law, Jonathan Wilkinson took part in the battle of Sidi Nsir. He was part of B Company who were positioned in advance positions on craggy outposts. After years of silence he began to talk about his capture, time in the Silesian coal mines as pow, and horrific Long March in the snow of Europe's coldest winter. I managed to put his memories on a number of pages on BBC2 Peoples War website
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/s...a4789434.shtml
Sadly Jonboy died three weeks ago aged 90. During his last years he took an active part in the Hampshires and ex POW Association. He visited the Silesian area of Poland, and took advantage of the 'Heroes Return' program to return to Sidi Nsir, Beja and Bizerte where he was pushed into the hold of a cargo ship bound for Naples.
The Long March was a truly bitter experience for over 120,000 pows retreating before the Russian advance, and I cannot understand why these brave men were not awarded a special badge.
After his demanding experiences, after just six weeks leave to recover his health, he was back in service in Berlin. Things have changed so much - no counselling or special treatment.