View Single Post
Old 29-06-10, 03:58 PM

Default Leicesters Badges with Gaunt B'ham Marks

Hi Peter

Leave it with me, and I will try and see if I can get hold of a photo. In the mean time, please see this thread for an example of another badge with a pre-1970s Gaunt Birmingham mark, as well as a close-up image of the mark itself on the Gaunt maker’s marks page. I know that Forum member Will (Diehard) has a 1st Vol Battn Leicesters badge which he posted the front of here, and which I believe will also have a Birmingham mark, though I need to ask him about this. My understanding is that such badges would have been supplied directly to the volunteer battalions/territorial associations rather than via the War Office, at least before 1916, and so see no reason why they could not have borne Birmingham marks instead of the London ones. I personally cannot believe that the lack of any mention of blades in the catalogues you have means that Gaunts did not use them, nor that they did not make officers’ badges until after 1914. As I say, the Walter Lambert example would seem proof of them making at least some kind of bladed officers’ badges before 1908.

Regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 29-06-10 at 04:26 PM.