View Single Post
Old 18-05-10, 12:34 PM

Default J. R. Gaunt Research

Hi Chris

Many thanks for all your kind words on the Gaunt research. As I’ve said before, I’m just glad a few members are finding all of this of interest (at least Keith appears to be enjoying things!). I must also thank btns again for being so ready to share his findings, and his input has definitely helped to steer me in the right direction. To be honest I’m perhaps better placed than others might be to undertake things, given historical research is actually part of my work. Having said that, I really do need to take a page out of Julian’s (KLR) and Stephen’s (bajez) books, and should make the effort to start looking though the various archives in Brum and London. I still have my notes on Ludski/Ludlow here somewhere as well, and must try and make some more postings to that thread too! I doubt I’ll ever get ’round to publishing all of this as a booklet, though that’s certainly a great idea, but maybe I could submit an article to something like the Military Historical Society - though I’m not sure it would necessarily be their kind of thing? I see btns has now posted up a quote from Kelly’s 1888 trade directory, which does fit nicely with the thinking that Gaunts only moved to Clifford Street at that time; and not in 1884 as had be previously assumed. Finding out where they were before this will be interesting, and could also help confirm things regarding the Firm’s establishment – we’ll see what I can find out when I next go to Brummagem then!

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 18-05-10 at 12:50 PM.