View Single Post
Old 05-04-10, 01:41 PM

Default First World War Longer Slidered Badges

Hi Alan

Your latest comments on First World War badges with longer sliders is particularly interesting, as I had been assuming that, as a general rule, and based on things Julian (KLR) has said (which I may well have misinterpreted!), the more standard length sliders came in after 1906 with the introduction of the peaked service cap. It would be really useful therefore to know the length of the sliders on your badges, and if they too are around the 45mm (1¾ʹʹ) mark?

So far the regular ORs Leicestershire badges I have that I think date from the Great War are all of a much more standard length; apart from one particular kind which appears to have a short dumpy type of slider (see this posting I made when I first started looking into things). I have to say that the fact the Gaunt territorials one seems to be an altered lugged badge still makes me inclined to think its adaptation was some time before the First War, as presumably the badge itself would have had to have been made before the 1903 introduction of the ‘vertical shank’ for it to originally have had loops. I’d be really grateful if you could post a picture or two of some of your longer slidered badges for comparison, and also apprecite it if you could let me know what length of slider we are talking about here. Many thanks again for contributing to things.

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 05-04-10 at 01:51 PM.