View Single Post
Old 10-11-16, 01:18 PM

Hi Mandolin,

I'm ex RMP and I can say without any doubt that is his whistle. While he was on duty he would have had to carry his "appointments" which was his whistle, notebook, armband and warrant card.

I've attached a photo of a WW1 whistle I found on line but it is the same design as he would be wearing.

As for the correct way to wear it I have seen it worn three different ways. Some units I was in said the hook had to go flat around the underneath of the button above or below the button hole that the chain comes out of so that it couldn't be seen, others said it had to be poked out of the button hole so it was visible (in the way your grandfather is wearing it). I've also seen the chain come out of the pocket and around the edge of the jacket rather than through the button hole.

All three ways are acceptable and it was usually down to either how the individual wanted to wear it or more usually how the Regimental Sergeant Major said they would wear it.

Great photo by the way.

Hope that helps,

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WW1-British-Military-WHISTLE-with-metal-chain-I-_57.jpg (53.5 KB, 18 views)