View Single Post
Old 15-04-21, 08:11 AM

My thoughts would be to wait for a better example to cross your path in it's original condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshiregunner View Post
Hi all, I’ve been offered a KRRC badge from the years 1901 to 1905, that is the K/C version without the two Ladysmith honours.
It’s not cheap, but I wouldn’t expect it to be cheap considering the rarity, so I want to be sure I’m getting value for money.
I reckon the face of the badge is spot on - all the right honours etc. but my doubts concern the back.
At sometime in its life someone has made a very shoddy, amateurish attempt at soldering rings on the top arm. It’s clearly a botch job but the real problem for me is that I don’t know whether the badge had a slide or rings originally. There is marking on the back of the crown which could be from a slider being removed.
Given a fair price I would buy the badge (because the face is most likely genuine) and go about getting a good job of removing the solder and fitting replacement rings or slide.
There is a space in my collection, on a board titled ‘Pre Great War’, just waiting for this badge . . . so any advice would be welcome.