View Single Post
Old 05-04-21, 09:57 AM

Peter kindly sent me a copy of this lovely postcard. I thought that they were probably all WM “Walking Out” cap badge. I agreed that a WM “Walking Out” WM badge – but now I think they were BM regular badges.

Regulations for the Territorial Force & County Associations – 1910, Section 9. - Uniform, Equipment, Decorations and Medals, &c. 2. Non-Commissioned Officers and Men
Badges - Para 486. "….. In the "walking -out" dress they will be entirely in white metal or bronze.

The 5th Battalion was the longest lived of the King’s Territorials. However, the history of its insignia is arguably the most complicated. From the outset, the battalion appears to have contradicted the regulations adopted by the WLT Association. From 1908, a “black metal Badge [was] worn in the Walking Out Cap”, But at their meeting on 9th June 1914 agreed that the Walking Out insignia will be, as noted above, ‘silver or white metal’.[1]
(Incidentally, the Bn did wear all WM badge Pattern 3510/1921 (authorised 26th April 1921) - presumably worn up to 1926.

Another complication is that the 7th Bn wore an all WM badge too from 1908!

The soldier / bugler immediately above the officer is wearing what I really think is BM ! (there are a few others that have a White horse but the lower part is distinctly darker.
Another interesting badge was worn by the searjent sitting just to the (left as we see it). This was the Gaunt made “Foreign Service” worn by the 1st Bn from the 1894 (date not fully identified) to 1926.

Finally, yes the officer is wearing an OSD boss with the Harp of Erin (see photograph).
I don’t know much about collar badges but they look very clearly like Harp of Erin facing badges.

[1] LRO 356 WES 4/1, 125 Mtg of the Clothing & Supplies sub-comm 9.6.1914

Last edited by KLR; 05-04-21 at 10:03 AM.