View Single Post
Old 04-04-21, 11:35 AM

Those Welsh Dragons again, very nice indeed and really lovely to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
I’ve long been intrigued with the Montgomeryshire Imperial Yeomanry version of this plate as shown in Bryn Owen’s book, Montgomeryshire Regiments of Militia, Volunteers & Yeomanry Cavalry, as shown in the photo 1.
I have never seen one like this but having recently bought a rather beaten up helmet with the later MYC plate as shown in photo 2 I now know the reason why it was shown like this. The small upright band shown at the top of the star is in fact part of the helmet decoration that was soldered onto the back of the star plate as it has no fixings of its own to hold it in place, as shown in photos 3 & 4. The top section being secured under the spike base at the top. Photo 5 shows the comparison between the plate that has come off the helmet & another I have which has never been fitted to a helmet from the look of it as it is not curved to shape.
Photo 6 shows the plate back in place after I’ve taken out the major dents and cleaned it all. This is not a finished project as it is missing a liner, chin chain and other minor bits and bobs. The plume is a temporary addition as it is from a modern Life Guards helmet.