View Single Post
Old 16-08-13, 10:39 AM

I'm happy to contribute my thoughts to this interesting puzzle.

The photos have all the hallmarks of North Africa 1943 - probably between the end of hostilities in North Africa in May and the Division's move to Italy in December 1943 - especially as my research suggests that the 4th Indian Division did not wear their eagle formation sign until that stage of the war.

According to the Division's pamphlet in Chris Kempton's series Loyalty and Honour - The Indian Army 1939-1945 at that date the Royal Artillery regiments serving with the Division were the 1st Field Regiment, 31st Field Regiment and 11th Field Regiment - 32nd Field Regiment were with the Division until 23rd March 1943.

The Division wore two sorts of formation sign during its wartime service. The first is the embroidered example, the majority of which were hand made in India and presented to the Division by the women of India. Subsequently the printed version was obtained by the Ministry of Supply in Britain - almost certainly from a company called The Calico Printers Association - and sent to the Division in Italy.

Sadly none of this allows certain identification from the names on the pictures but I hope it helps.

Jon