View Single Post
Old 19-09-20, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
I will echo Darrell. The time qualifications for the CVSM and War Medal were met. I don't see the entitlement for the ACE or 39/45 Star, as he was training and not operational.
Hi Bill

No? I think Don has it. Magee was in an Operational Sqn (Big O) doing some training (Small t) and not In Training (Big I and Big T) at some Fighter or Heavy Conversion Unit. It really really matters.

39/45 Star and ACE entitlement. I've seen nothing at all to refute that. I've demonstrated that adequately.

RE the Defence Medal, I hadn't looked at that as an automatic award during qualification period. That would have begun for Magee when he stepped off the boat in the UK but only up until he went Operational. The Defence Medal was for service in the forces in non-operational areas subjected to air attack or closely threatened for at least three years service in Great Britain until 8th May 1945 or one year in territories overseas until 2 September 1945.....and on and on. Essentially for Cdns, 6 months for the non-operational Forces in the UK (a year in Nfld!). Our Army personnel earned it in droves as they remained non operational in the UK for years. Magee joined an Operational RCAF Fighter Sqn and I believe that his ability to count time towards a Defence Medal would have then stopped and his death would not have allowed to be earned even though that medal had that caveat. I'll admit that I'm not 100% sure on that at the moment, Air Force medal groups aren't my usual thing. Funny thing that Defence Medal.

David

I like medals so I learn as much as I can about them. I'll bet others here do the same thing with badges.
Good on you for asking questions about stuff.
For Magee, he may have been an American citizen but as a member of the RCAF, it was pretty much irrelevant to this discussion as his medals were earned, as you said, "...when having served the prescribed time in His Majesty’s Armed Forces..".

For what it's worth, I'll stand by the four medals I mentioned previously as Magee's entitlement and Mulligan the Def medal.

regards
Darrell