View Single Post
Old 12-04-10, 11:03 AM

Default J. R. Gaunt's Early History

Hi btns

Many thanks indeed for your latest contribution to things – all of which is indeed most interesting. You’ve definitely found out some important snippets of information, which are now helping us have a better understanding of the history of this particular badge making firm. I certainly hadn’t heard the part about J. R. Gaunt working for Firmins, which I suppose makes it ironic that the company he went on to found eventually ended up being taken over by Firmin many years later. I wonder if you could tell us what your sources are for all the family history information relating to Gaunts you have? You’ll also have to excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is the “Aucioneer DNW sales info” you mentioned before? I’m assuming it is an auctioneer’s catalogue of some description, but perhaps you could clarify this for me please. As I said in my reply to the Gaunt advertisement thread, the fact that the Warstone Lane factory, which was formerly that of David Faris, burnt down in 1912 is particularly significant, as is what you say about the destruction of 20,000 dies in the fire. I’m sure there is much more to discover about the history of J. R. Gaunt & Son, but I for one appreciate everything you have posted up so far on this subject.

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 12-04-10 at 11:09 AM.