View Single Post
Old 08-04-10, 10:14 AM

Default The ‘other’ J. R. Gaunt & Son, etc.

Picking up on Chris’ comments about the ‘other’ J. R. Gaunt & Son, who came into being in 2002 and who appear to be part of Cleave & Company Ltd, Forum members might find this posting and a subsequent one I made last year about this very subject of interest. I have yet to follow things up on this, but if anyone else knows anything about this other “J. R. Gaunt & Son Limited” I’d be very glad to hear about it. Who knows what this company are making in the way of cap badges, or what they are selling them as, but the fact they registered the Gaunt name as a trade mark does make me personally rather suspicious of their intentions.

btns’ complicated posting on Gaunt matters looks most interesting, though unfortunately I do not think I can offer much in the way of answers to the questions he raises myself – at least not yet! I would think that the information from Diana’s buttons website does need careful consideration, and it may be that the date ranges it quotes for the various forms of the name are not wholly accurate or relevant to the marks used on badges. The history of Gaunt certainly seems very complex, but hopefully with Chris working on the later history and Julian looking at the deposited archives, together with contributions from other members, a true picture of the Firm’s activities will slowly emerge. Though whether we will find answers to all the questions where badges are concerned is another matter.

Regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”