View Single Post
Old 11-07-13, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaydodger View Post
It was a nightmare in Banja Luka, It was almost impossible to tell Brit WOII from Brit Majors, especially with subdued rank, worn center of the chest, granted their rank insignia varies from regiment to regiment. Our WO were constantly saluted by the Brits, but they never mistook officers stripes for anything but officers rank.
I figured this would come up. More recently I was a Cdn WO assigned to a mainly Brit formation in Afg. As well there were USAF, Bulgarian, Romanian, Danish, and US Army working in numbers in a close sub-unit formation. All of us in our desert pattern combat clothing with rank slip-ons (less USAF). I would get the very occasional salute, mainly from Brits or other commonwealth types. No issues, as we learned..........There was some talk of everyone wearing a corresponding US rank device somewhere on the combat uniform. Didn't fly tho'!!

I liked the Australian idea in that their Majors wore a small black crown on their slip-on and their WO2s had a larger crown but with a large black square around it.

I could have posted before Clive as the CANFORGEN came in this AM but as a serving soldier, I truly have no opinion. If I had to weigh in on a side, then probably I am in favour. It's just not that important to me right now. I see the morale angle but that is fleeting once it's established. Move on, next, kinda thing. I've been Reg since '84 and we (from whatever element or trade) will change and carry on. It was 20 minutes of engaging conversation at the office today and that's about it. We got on with our day.

Thanks Clive. Don't get me wrong. No doubt some considerable output and careful thought on your group's part. (can your group get me a few more Leo IIA4s?)

Suddenly tho', the pips in my collection just became more valuable!!

regards
Darrell