View Single Post
Old 01-11-11, 06:36 PM

Default 17th Lancer Horse furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrossi739 View Post
I have sourced a motto from my old regiment and would like someone to tell me a little more info about it if they can, it's my profile pic and it has two threaded bars on the back about 6mm wide and 20 mm in length the motto is 7 inches long and two wide
Hi mrrossi

I think your "profile" badge is probably carried somewhere by the horse rather than worn anywhere by the man. I'm sure it is too big for a pouch. It fits the usual profile for horse furniture, ie bit boss or breast badge, but I'm surprised at the overall length and not entirely sure I know what is going on at the back. Is it possible to photograph or scan it back and front and then I feel sure someone will come up with a more definitive response?
In the meantime I attach a scan of a 9th Lancer bit boss (8.4cms long) together with the next size up which is that of the crupper badge (10.4 cms long). (I think that is what it's called; it's that badge which sits on a leather pad, similar to the breast badge, on the leather strap which runs from the rear of the saddle and around the horse's tail and helps to prevent the saddle sliding forward. You will have to forgive an old tankie if I've got this horribly wrong but I feel sure somebody with more knowledge of the mysteries of equatation will put us right.)

I hope somebody comes up with an explanation.

Best wishes

Gordon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9L Bit Boss and Crupper.jpg (65.0 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by 1stTankie; 01-11-11 at 06:42 PM. Reason: left out dimensions!