View Single Post
Old 22-05-20, 05:52 PM

Default What cap badges are used by RA Volunteers/TF?

As we all know the basic RA cap badge has as texts UBIQUE//QUO FAS/ET GLORIA/DUCUNT.

I have Gaylor here and it tells me that the volunteers from 1902-1908 (with designations ... Royal Garrison Artillery (Volunteers)) had white metal badges with VOLUNTEERS//QUO FAS/ET GLORIA/DUCUNT. He shows a few exceptions:
For the 1st Hampshire Royal Garrison Artillery (Volunteers) the text FIRST//HANTS/R.G.A/VOLUNTEERS.
For the 3rd Middlesex Royal Garrison Artillery (Volunteers) the text THIRD//MIDDLESEX/R.G.A./VOLUNTEERS.
But he does not say if this is exhaustive. Thus my first question: where there more of these special badges and when yes, which ones.

In 1908 all were reorganised in the Territorial Force. Until 1916 (when TF untis were also entitled to the standard badges) the designations were ... Brigade, Royal Field Artillery (TF) and the badge was laurel sprig//QUO FAS/ET GLORIA/DUCUNT. But
The former 3rd Middlesex RGA (V) became V London Brigade Royal Field artillery (TF) and the badge was FIFTH//LONDON/R.F.A/BRIGADE.
My second question: where there more of these?

Also from Gaylor: two batteries in the Mounted Brigades that also had special texts.
WARWICKSHIRE//ROYAL/HORSE/ARTILLERY
WEST RIDING//ROYAL/HORSE/ARTILLERY
Again: were there more?

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages