View Single Post
Old 05-02-19, 11:22 PM

Thanks for the close up Roy. I agree it looks like an 8. It can only be a regimental number. (The button that secures the shoulder strap would have his company number on). I can only say that the 8 and the piping around the strap is certainly not white, which was the German branch of service colour for the Infantry. If he was cavalry it should be a golden yellow, but it could just as well be red (artillery, still largely horse drawn at that period)......who knows? Also it occurred to me that just because the number plate links the BSA to a particular registration district, it doesn't mean the photo was taken in that district? It could just be the guy in the photo was in, say, Hamburg, or Berlin, and was attracted to the bike, or knew the owner, and got a snapshot of him on it. I'm no expert but I don't know that the German military shipped in Brit bikes prewar, as they had their own makes - NSU, DKW, BMW, Zundapp, etc? Either way, a lovely photo. clearly, like you, that fella appreciated a good bike when he saw one :-)