View Single Post
Old 01-03-13, 11:20 PM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalman View Post
hello to you all,im a new member to the forum,and it is an absolute goldmine of information.i have attached an studio portrait of a sergeant which i believe to be a member of the denbighshire hussars.the cap and collar badges are very clear.if im wrong on this one i am sure you will let me know!.im not sure of the date on this,but at a guess i would say circa 1910.also if you look at the studio address it puts it in the right area.any way i hope this is of some use.
Yes ..... DH(I)Y Sergeant circa 1907.

Headdress: - Blue Staff Pattern Cap, double scarlet banding (introduced into the Regiment in 1907 for the Other Ranks)
Jacket: Blue, shoulder chain mail on blue with the "DHIY" shoulder titles, white metal buttons with PoWs badge. Sliver lace chevrons on blue.
Overalls: blue with double scarlet leg stripes.

* ERVII Medal probably has a mustard yellow ribbon.
** Other Ranks Staff Pattern Cap still held at the RWF Museum at Caernarvon Castle, in Gog' land (North Wales).

Really great photo...... very nice indeed! Kinda puts to bed the "upturned scroll" thing .... does it not ;0) ....... just a makers variation and or cleaning bumps and knocks or Soldier preference alteration. My hunch is that many were altered because the bottom scrolls disappeared behind the leather chin strap in the khaki Field cap..... turning the scrolls upwards made the badge look better in the cap because the scrolls could be seen (partially) - it also copies their button.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg denby-hussar-colour.jpg (43.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg denby-hussar-resize.jpg (42.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Rutland2x.jpg (18.6 KB, 48 views)

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 02-03-13 at 11:31 AM.