Thread: Pagri badges
View Single Post
Old 18-04-10, 11:47 AM

Keith, it's precisely the "specific badges" that you refer to that I don't know much about. There are also officer's ones (usually S&G) with brooch type pins that are said to be pagri ones.
Incidentally, I don't think the HPCs with shanks have been 'modified' none of the ones I've seen (and am still searching for a KLR one !) have scars suggestive of removed loops on them.

Yes, it's the "cap" badges with very long sliders that puzzle me - and if they were unofficially (as in I haven't found any official reference) worn on a FSH / or slouch then they may justifiably have been stick in a pagri !? I don't know why we don't see many of the metal slider sockets about (they also had a pattern number which I'll look up in a minute !) , there are WO orders showing that thousands were ordered !! (one was illustrated in Crown Imperial a few years ago)
(I think grenade badges - as discussed elsewhere - are another matter, the late David Linaker was writing something about them but I don't know if he finished anything).
Before 1903 cap badges had loops/lugs and these might have been long ones if intended for the FSH (how thick are they ???). Curiously the 1926 pattern King's badge is often found with longish sliders and they are still officially sealed (in 1926) for cap and FSH but I happen to know that they had long been wearing a flash on the side of their FSHs.

Yes, I think I need to get out there and look at other regiment's specific requirements. But it takes a great deal of time just to look up details for just one regt let alone lots - that's why I'm encouraged to see so many other "single unit" collectors / researchers here. Ideally we can then look at general trends ! Julian