Thread: EU referendum
View Single Post
Old 23-06-16, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
Quote by BWEF, European elections are far more democratic than Westminster elections because they use PR.

I am not so sure about that. I live in the only part of the UK that uses PR. What has it achieved for us? We have now a Northern Ireland Assembly which is riddled with former terrorists of one type or another.

Funny enough some of them are pushing for a Stay vote as a Leave vote might reintroduce border checks on the border with the Republic of Ireland.

Is Europe's PR any better?
European elections are far more democratic because they use Proportional Representation.

This means that all sorts of extremists and fruitloops can get elected, in particular if there is a low turnout. You might not like who is elected, but the same % of the electorate as are represented do.

Case in point, UKIP. there are 24 UKIP MEPs in Europe elected via PR. They might do no work and hate Europe and everything it stands for, but so do the same % of the electorate who voted for them.

Witness these Brexit threads, and the level of debate that some people have some up with. I would say that the main thing that is wrong with Europe is that people from all over Europe, who are against the whole idea, have been enabled to make a very rich living pandering to the people with a mindset 50 and more years in the past. It will take more than a referendum to take the world back to the 1950s.

As for FPTP the fact that people are, in effect, disenfranchised can only lead to trouble once the people realise it. People who feel that their views are not listened to do not go away, they turn to other means.

Last edited by BWEF; 23-06-16 at 03:04 PM.