View Single Post
Old 10-03-17, 03:52 PM

Default fakes

having spent many years with different types of brazing and trying to remove the stuff, its a real pain to completely remove with out damaging the plate or the subject especially when one part has a complex shape both items had to pickled, refluxed and re-brazed, unless the metal is thick there is always some distortion . I would guess that the original Gaunt tablet would be quite thin as its easier to heat both the plate and the badge if they are similar thicknesses metal especial to get it looking neat.
Any one who has tried to fit a slider to a badge knows its not easy to get it looking right let a lone fit a tablet in the correct place. It can be done though but I certainly wouldn't waste time on it.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Simon,
I disagree, it looks as though it is still there, but you have the badge! They are often polished smooth, as I believe the War Office stopped makers marking their badges, and it was probably easier to polish them smooth than to remove those already fitted?

The original plates are paper thin, quite often not neatly cut as are the Fake ones! The lettering is often very lightly struck, whereas on the copies it is often very deep. The genuine plates measure 8mm (wide) 3-4mm (high), the Fakes are often larger. The genuine plates have at least two layouts to the Font, on one the J.R.GAUNT and LONDON the same length and sit neatly above each other on the other style the LONDON is again below but slightly narrower and sits justified. On the Fake plates, which are often much thicker, the LONDON is wider than the J.R.GAUNT set above it!

Some genuine examples, the RE has been cleaned to aid photography!

Andy