Thread: Unvoided Crowns
View Single Post
Old 23-02-19, 08:42 PM

Not quite sure what the main question is here as it drifts slightly.

If it’s are there genuine badges with un-voided crowns, undoubtedly yes. I own a Suffolk Regt and Finsbury Rifles with solid crown that I have no doubts about.

Are the 3 badges shown in the link genuine - no. They’re fakes from a very poor Royal 1st Devon Yeomanry fake die, nothing like the original (thankfully).

In this thread badges shown in the literature to the above Yeomanry https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...Devon+Yeomanry (Gaylor, K&K and Litchfield) all show examples where one of the lions hind legs touches the crown tip i.e. there is no void. It’s general consensus that looped/bladed badges of this design but with the aforementioned void are staff officer badges.

As for the badge in the fourth link see post #13 of the above thread. There are a couple badges from the same die, both have modern looking sliders - not what I’d expect from a Yeomanry that didn’t survive past 1920. Personally I don’t think it’s a genuine 1stRDY (due to the void) and not a badge I’d have in my collection.

Unfortunately I don’t know of any lists of relating to crowns and their voids. One thing I would say is for me it’s a subject where ‘never say never’ since one off mistakes could always have slipped through. For example I’ve a Conn. Rangers missing a single string void, it’s undoubtedly been worn and made it through quality control and been issued.

Last edited by Luke H; 23-02-19 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Spelling