View Single Post
Old 16-02-21, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
That’s fine but very much I feel a personal decision and stance. To my knowledge there are no pictures of double scroll Nelly’s, any of the country or cavalry HMRR badges or RND MGC in wear.

The ‘curly scroll’ Leinster bears striking resemblance to the below 3DG and 10H badges.

Whilst I’ve not compared them in detail yet it is something on my to-do-list. Like these Leinsters the quality in strike and flaws present can vary enormously making fine detailed comparisons harder.

However, the coronet’s jewels, reverse scroll impressions and even the sliders found on all three show commonality from examples I’ve seen.

Both 3DG and 10H badges feature in Wilkinson, the 3rd DG of this type is shown in KK so I don’t doubt their provenance.

I recently purchased an example of each as WW1 variants and curios. I’ve seen examples with braze holes and others without.

From a manufacturing perspective if you were already making the below badges and took on a contract for a Leinster badge it would be an expedient, economical and financially attractive proposition to not cut a whole new die but manufacture a tag on scroll.
The round top 3 Dragoon Guards and the 'Leinster' do appear to have a similar die-cast bottom scroll with a lip at the top of the rear of about a mm. I wasn't sure, but I did think that the round top 3 was a war expedient too as it's a bit 'nasty' if you know what I mean - am I right though? I show them together with the Welsh and 10th Hussars. All the coronets on mine are slightly different, with the 10th having vertical line detail about the jewel band - which the strike you show doesn't have.

I'll look forward to reading your conclusions when you get round to your to-do-list.
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1752[1].jpg (77.4 KB, 42 views)