View Single Post
Old 23-02-22, 10:20 PM

I’ve shown you available info from the national archive which can be accessed by anyone, there is a fee to pay to get the complete details of the patent registration which should tell you amongst other details if the finish is silver or gilt, however seeing that there is a silver one on the website I mentioned with the ‘same” registration I fully expect any details to say it should be silver and no mention of gilt.
The finish on your example I suspect has been added at a later date for reasons which I do not know nor would speculate on, there are no coloured photos of the period wear and any contemporary artists works (an example shown)all show an obvious silver/white metal finish on the plaid brooch but the correct gilding metal where appropriate on other insignia
I know of no gilt plaid brooches like this other than to the odd colonial regiment or where gilt has been used on a specific overlay or device on the brooch but would certainly be interested to see myself if anyone has a another gilt one to any Scottish Regt of the British Army
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04D3AB6C-BB34-46DC-AF60-FFFDAFBA38BB.jpg (55.0 KB, 16 views)