Thread: Beret colour?
View Single Post
Old 09-03-17, 05:53 AM

Gentlemen,

The variation of colours, can be due to several factors. The official colours specified, were in accordance to the names provided by the British Colour Council (BCC) this was the standard approved by the Govt.for all colours in an attemp to standardise colours for the UK and Commonwealth. This standard ruled everything from paints to wallpaper and dye etc. I believe this was started in the 1930's. Over time the BCC coding was dropped in favour of more consistent colours using the Red,Blue Green(RBG), Pantone and quite a few other acronyms stating the level and intensity of colour etc.

Manufacturing is another matter. Sometimes the colours are just different because of change of pigment suppliers etc.

Third, the human element in colour differentiation is a vast minefield. My eyes will see a differing shade of blue, and someone else will see something opposite. Also the education element comes into play, for example the colour Royal Blue seen by younger people will be a bright shade of azure. This is recognised as Royal Blue (Web) as in web colour as seen in every monitor, because computers can't effectively reproduce the correct shade.

If some berets look purpleish it's likely the manufacturer used Purple Navy dye, as that's what was available.

Anyway, here is a list of blues according to BCC;

Traditional colour--------Official Designation BCC#
1) Blue--------------------Blue Black BCC 50
2)Purple Navy-------------Purple Navy BCC 219
3)Cambridge Blue---------Cambridge Blue BCC 191
4)Spectrum Blue-----------Spectrum Blue BCC 86
5)Dark Blue-----------------Royal Blue BCC 197
6)Midnight Blue-------------Midnight Blue BCC 90
7)Light Blue-----------------Pompadour Blue BCC 194
8)Oxford Blue---------------Oxford Blue BCC 49
9)Steel Blue-----------------Steel Blue BCC 44
10)Adonis Blue--------------Adonis Blue BCC 85
11)Smalt--------------------Smalt BCC 147
12)Indigo--------------------Indigo BCC 48
13) Powder Blue-------------Powder Blue BCC 193

This is not an exhaustive list as there are many many variations. The Queens Royal Hussars also have Garter Blue in their dress. It's close to light azure. The beat goes on.

These above, are the official colours in regulations, set by the Army Council ages ago. Even in the Union Flag the Blue is Royal Blue (Traditional) as set forth in regulation. To some it's Dark Blue or Navy Blue.

I'm not trying to start a war only provide the correct terminology, after all we argue the slightest lettering style on badges, rollmarks etc. Details do matter. We as "Badgers" and "Enthusiasts are a persnickety bunch.

I'm exhausted,

Clay