View Single Post
Old 13-07-12, 12:55 PM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny B. View Post
Another lovely photo, Mick. Well done, once again. They must have looked pretty fancy out on parades in that gear.

The rifles certainly do look like Lancaster rifles, probably reduced bore type, that were widely issued to Victorian Forces after purchase in 186, though I do believe that some Ordnance type were used earlier than that. In any case, the chape and lockets of the bayonet scabbards visible have the distinctive look of the Lancaster bayonet scabbard.

There is another quite nice photo of soldiers in the same uniform in the "Early Muzzle Loaders in the Victorian Volunteer Forces" article in the Articles section at this site: http://mhhv.org.au/?P=745 (I still have trouble attaching web addresses in the flash way some of you other blokes do.)

Lancer 17, what are the markings on your Lancaster bayonet that identify it as a Victorian issue bayonet? Is it numbered to the gun?

Hi Donny

Now you have made me go and unlock the gun cupboard !!

George Ward does not list rifles for the Williamstown Rifle Volunteeers, however he also shows the Carlton Rifle Co wearing the same uniform. He lists their rifles as

1863, 176 Lancaster Rifles.
1865, 177 Lancaster rifles.
1870, 95 Lancaster reduced bore (.568) rifles & 65 Lancaster large bore (.577) rifles.
1874, 102 Lancaster reduced bore & 81 large bore.
From 1879 only Martini Henry rifles are listed.

The Lancaster rifle is a 2 band rifle, the barrel extends 4 1/2 inches / 115 mm beyond the end cap and the bayonet lug is on the right side of the barrel as per the photo above. Lancaster rifles were on general issue to the Victorian Volunteers from about 1863 until the introduction of Martini Henrys in 1879. Both large bore and small bore rifles were on isue, however Georges book shows that there were more large than small bore rifles issued.

Donny B.

The top of the but plate on my rifle is marked G62 / 818 / V V. I have had the rifle from the 1970's.

The bayonet is marked on the pommel just below the slot with 1662 and AC in small letters.

I hope that this helps. I also have a Martini Henry marked VMR.

Putting photos up defeats me but I am sending some to Slick Mick ( he's a good man) and maybe he would put some up for us. Please Mick !

Regards

Phil.

Last edited by Lancer 17; 13-07-12 at 01:23 PM.