View Single Post
Old 01-06-09, 06:40 PM

Certainly in modern times (70s and early 80s) the white on blue shoulder flash as shown was worn by R.N. Commandos on the green army style jumper. I have never seen it worn on the blue R.N. "wooley pulley". In No 1 Dress it would simply be "COMMANDO" in gold bullion on black really as RN uniforms are nearer black than blue. I believe they now wear the dagger instead and have also moved the para wings from the left cuff to the right shoulder as per the army. I've never seen red on black as would be expected for No 2 dress. Blue on white embroidered would be appropriate for tropical dress. R.N. Commandos did not wear the green beret unless serving with a commando unit.

With reference to comment on Royal Yacht ratings wearing white embroidered badges, this was in No2 Dress downwards. In No1 Dress normal gold bullion was worn with the Royal(CROWN)Yacht badge on the upper right arm, booties included. No red on black badges were worn. In tropical dress RMs wore red on stone. In lovats it was bullion on lovat.

As to commandos serving on the yacht, I really don't know I never went there but a few "CP" wouldn't be a surprise.

An interesting point:- you could not be promoted on the yacht.

Last edited by Jim Maclean; 01-06-09 at 07:00 PM.