View Single Post
Old 05-04-16, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talos View Post
Hi
When would these simplified titles have reached the troops in the field?.
Regards
Talos
Talos

I cannot give you a direct answer on this.

By way of comparison let's look as another war-time initiative, the manufacture of many Infantry cap badges previously made in bi-metal in gilding metal only.

The order authorizing the project was approved on 29-Feb-1916.

A modification was made on 15-March-1916 to exclude some regimental designs from the list.

The company Bent & Parker received manufacturing contracts which included some of these temporary all gilding metal badges on 17-April-1916.

Usually the War Office ordered existing stocks of badges used up before their replacements were to be issued .

So orders for all GM badges were being placed within 2 months of the authorization of the project in the case of the company Bent & Parker.

How long it took for badges to make it into the field I guess depends on when existing stocks were run out and/or the new ones began to be issued to recruits and as replacements. I know of no data to pin down dates on this aspect.

A full description of the cap badge project can be found in Cap Badges of The First World War part 1 - the regular forces by Julian Bowsher & David Linaker, The Bulletin of the Military Historical Society, vol 66, no. 262, Nov. 2015, p 78-88.

John