View Single Post
Old 31-10-18, 03:59 PM

Default White Bandmasters collar badges

Dear Friends.

Further to my Thread of the 4th May 2017 headed Bandmaster's Collar Badges with a Crown.

I feel I am now in a position to answer my own question.

It transpires there was a Royal Signals Corps Memo No 22 of 1978 which reads as follows. "Royal Corps of Signals Band. Revival of Full Dress Bandmaster's Embroidered collars " of a pattern introduced in the 1980's.

This pattern included the wearing of Embroidered Collar Badges complete with a St. Edwards Crown.

I have recently been most fortunate with my grateful thanks to my very good friend and member of the Forum Colin Hodgkins who owns the badges shown below to have found out who and when the Bandmaster at the top of this Thread is and when the photo of him was taken wearing the White Backed Collar Badges.

It transpires that the Bandmaster at the time was WO1 Paul Wilman. He became the Corps Bandmaster in 2002. The attached photo of him was taken in London in 2002 or 2003. He is quite clearly wearing the White Backed Collar Badges in question.

Just for a little further information Bandmaster Wilman went on to become the Director of Music of the Life Guards and was Director of Music of the Queens Birthday Parade in 2013. He retired in 2015 with the rank of Major.

I have taken the opportunity of adding the original WO1 Bandmaster photo
of Paul Wilman.

A set of the White Backed Embroidered Collar badges owned by Colin Hodgkins.

And lastly a photo of the then Major Paul Wilman taken at the Queens Birthday Parade in 2013 where he was the parade Director of Music and is on horseback.

I hope this little update has been of some interest to members of the Forum.

With my best wishes

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Signals Bandmaster in London.jpg (59.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg BM Bullion Collars on cream back.jpg (95.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Major Paul Wilman 2013 DoM.jpg (72.3 KB, 29 views)