View Single Post
Old 03-06-18, 12:30 AM

I don't know why, but I'm still researching the soldiers in the photograph.

After a little more digging on Jack Leckie, I found one, possibly two, photographs of him serving with Strathcona's Horse. In the first one, taken in Ottawa presumably prior to sailing to South Africa, he's fourth from the right in the middle row. Above him are the initials "JEL." In the second, taken in London on the way back to Canada, I believe he's the officer last on the right, again in the middle row. (Both photos are from the RCMP Veteran's Association website and have been made larger.)

In the January 1, 1916, edition of the Militia Quarterly List, Jack Leckie is one of seven RMC graduates shown having resigned commissions in the British Army with honorary ranks after serving in "Lord Strathcona's Corps." Another one of the seven is Major H.S. Tobin, who is also in the opening photograph as a member of the 72nd Regiment. (I think he's sixth from the left in the middle row in the Ottawa photo.) Both were honorary Lieutenants.

Jack finished his military career as a Colonel. His brother, RGE Leckie, who was badly wounded in the Great War, finished as a Major General. He died shortly after in 1923 at the age of 54.

Cheers,
Dan.

Strathcona's Horse Ottawa.jpg Strathcona's Horse London.jpg