Thread: Pagri badges
View Single Post
Old 10-08-11, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
You will NOT find the description "pagri badge" anywhere in any WO document. There are references to metal badges being worn on the Foreign Service Helmet (FSH) and the item known officially as the 'Service Dress Hat' or the 'Universal Headdress' (more commonly known as the 'slouch' or 'bush' hat.
In the vast documentation about metal badges introduced for the Field Service Cap (FSC, ie side cap, then for the peaked forage cap) they are invariably sealed for use on BOTH the FSC AND the FSH.
There is no mention of this badge being worn on the slouch. That hat was intended to have adapted (ie slidered) HPCs - for which a socket (Pattern 5797/1902) was introduced. As I said earlier, the idea does not seem to have taken off (an expensive mistake) BUT there seems to be evidence that metal "cap badges" were worn in such a socket.

I personally think the QVC badge with a slider is some sort of mistake or later adaptation.
KLR - firstly may I apologise if it appears that I'm at war over your research work, which I am not. As a researcher myself I have the greatest respect for those who follow this hobby more seriously, bringing a lot more to the attention of those who collect.

All I am(and perhaps Toby) are trying to demonstrate, is that the military in general is notorious for asking for changes to clothing, equipment and accoutrements, which despite being patented, may actually never be taken into wear or use. One which springs to mind was the earlier pattern of universal service dress which although produced and worn by a "demonstration" battalion, never ever saw the light of day.

I also recall from the MHS Bulletin some years ago an order from the 1930's bringing into effect the use of ciivilian clothing for walking out. When the same order reached a battalion of the Durham Light Infantry in the China Station, the C/O refused point blank to allow his men to adopt civvies and wrote on that same order in heavy pen "NOT IN THIS BATTALION".

I think you'll appreciate and understand that the same applied to badges and various patterns of head-dress, and as such they may have proved not to be practical and therefore were never applied, despite what regulattions may have said. Sometimes you find items of equipment etc, being rescinded by the inclusion in Army Orders, War Office and Army Council Instructions.

Anyway here's hoping you'll understand this is not a campaign against you or your work and that you'll accept my apology.