View Single Post
Old 02-08-20, 09:30 AM

I would suggest selling ‘grey area’ badges on here is bad practice.

Dealers no doubt do this moving on badges which are ‘maybe ok’ to their minds and get pummelled on here for it when someone in the forum knows something they don’t about their badge and it’s not right.

Personally I only sell badges on here that I’d happily have in my collection and are 100% original. Selling iffy or grey area stuff in my opinion shouldn’t be done here.

I take your point about the known fakes but how does anyone actually ‘know’ they are fakes. None of us were there when the die was cut. Rather it’s an extremely high likelihood a certain die is fake but no one has evidence for it that would stand up at court. Rather you see a lot of modern badges that exhibit a certain trait, it may or may not appear in a repro catalogue or be sold by know repro sellers... strong circumstantial evidence but not proof in the truest sense of the word.

There are always badges which fall into grey areas, which the answer is I don’t know. In these situations I either don’t comment or say I don’t know. In my opinion these are always worth keeping and worthy of further research. Completely agree it is best to approach all situations with an open mind.

I’ve decided to take a leaf out of P.B.’s book and no longer comment on authenticity of others items.