View Single Post
Old 17-05-20, 07:16 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Hello all,

Firstly the "RSL" as it is universally known, is an association for ex-service personnel, like the British Legion, the badge is not a Returned from Active Service badge, Australia also had one of these that was in die stamped brass with a Kings crown on top.

The RSL was formed in 1916 for men returning from service on Gallipoli. The first badge had the title Returned Sailors & Soldiers Imperial League around a blue circle and the word Australia on a red scroll below, however there is always an exception and Forum Member Jimbo Dixon has one with a blue scroll. This badge has a sailor and a soldier on it, the first issues were 40mm high and 30mm wide.

I have 2 of these, one made by Stokes and Son, Melbourne numbered 35904 and it has something stamped on the back which I cant read and has a plain crown. The second is manufactured by W Bishop and it is numbered B7306 and it is stamped Copyright. This one is a much more golden looking brass and has red enamel in the crown.

Subsequently a second smaller badge was issued, also with 2 men on it, at this time the Australian Flying Corps was part of the Army. The RAAF was not formed until the 1920's. I have 2 of this badge one is 24 and the other 26mm high. These can be found with a plain crown and others have a number on the crown and the colour of the back ground changes, this was to show that you had paid your membership subscription for that year. One of these has 2 lugs and the other has a half moon type fixing to go into the button hole in the lapel on a mans jacket. One is numbered A34668 and the other is numbered V12691.The first has no makers name and the 2nd is marked copyright and has a name that I can not read.

The next badge now has 3 marching men and the title includes Airmens and the red scroll now has Imperial League Australia on it. The one that I have has a year clip for 1948, it is numbered 781518 and is made by Amor, Sydney.

Last edited by Lancer 17; 19-05-20 at 07:13 AM.