View Single Post
Old 16-02-19, 06:14 AM

J R Gaunt & Son were the official suppliers of NZ shoulder titles and buttons to the NZ Government from 1912 to April 1917, their badges were used as “the sealed pattern.”
The cancelation of Gaunt as an official supplier was due to an investigation by a Captain in the NZ Ordnance Corps who found “Gaunt & Son had been charging an exorbitant figure for N.Z. Pattern Badges etc”
At the time an order of “100 Gross” of NZVC shoulder titles had been ordered by the NZ Government, of which Gaunt had already supplied “77 Gross” when the order for the last “23 Gross” was cancelled.
From April 1917 a tender process was used to supply badges to the NZ Government.
The following document shows the April 1917 tenders where Gaunt are a £1000 more than the tender by Woolley & Co who were awarded the contract.

NZR shoulder titles were also made in New Zealand as I have a stamping die for one in my collection, when I get a chance I will post a picture of it.

Were the brass NZMR and NZR shoulder titles reissued in WW2 from WW1 stock?
Without doubt, WW1 shoulder titles were reissued after WW1 and IMO many were reissued at the beginning of WW2.