View Single Post
Old 15-09-18, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribyn View Post
I'm really not sure that there is any great significance to the design or orientation of the rose - ie two petals to the top (as per btns photo number 2 in post 1 above) or one petal to the top (his photo number 3).

Some while ago Ian Scott produced for 'Button Lines' (Journal of the British Button Society), an excellent list of some variations to be found in buttons for Line Infantry Regiments. He noted that for the Royal Fusiliers and the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry there were variants with the rose in different positions (as per btns photos 2 and 3). If this happened to these buttons I can see no reason why the same should not have happened to buttons for the Intelligence Corps. Even the same maker may have used different dies at different times made by different people who had different ideas about how a rose should look.

I still firmly believe that the problem here is the misidentification by Howard in his original book. This error has been repeated so often, by so many well respected militaria dealers on their lists and on ebay that it has now almost become fact - any button with a crown over a rose is Yorkshire Yeomanry, so much more exciting than Intelligence Corps!

A Lord Lieutenant's pattern KC button, silver plated, mounted design, was sold recently by a well known militaria dealer on his website as an officers' mounted button for the Yorkshire Dragoons. A similar brass, die-struck version is also being sold by an equally respected dealer as Yorkshire Dragoons.

If someone can produce one of these buttons (but not a Lord Lieutenant's example, obviously) with a Jennens backmark (or similar) which would clearly pre-date 1940 then I might be able to start convincing myself that the button is for something else other than the Intelligence Corps. I would still like to see some evidence before identifying it as specifically Yorkshire Yeomanry related though!

Roger

My brass example - as shown in the album - is Firmin so does not meet the "Jennens or similar" criterion. I shall leave the pictures in the album for the time being.

Chris