View Single Post
Old 03-10-20, 04:55 PM

The badge on the red background surfaced this evening on eBay and reminded me to float this idea.

It is of course a fake Hood RND from the same stable as the slidered badge, difference being this one is on the seldom seen stamped brass lugs which many collectors regard as a ‘relatively safe’ bet in matters of authenticity.

Whilst I believe genuine Hood badges do come with such loops in my experience I’ve only ever seen them on these very distinctive makers variations, shown in this thread: https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ght=Naval+hood . The lugs are almost as distinct as the badge in their shape and the thin gauge of the metal.

Similarly the hex lugs I have on a Tyneside Scottish (4th type) and a couple odd STs I own all appear to be made from thinner gauge metal than the Liverpool Pals badge in post #6.

So is it a case the reproduction hex and stamped lugs are being made from thicker sheet metal than originals?

I would be interested to see other members examples of stamped lugs to test this theory. I am aware some Aus/NZ/Canadian and Middle Eastern made badges being made with thicker brass loops.

Keith - can you remember if badgeman’s hex lugs were also quite thick?